Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By Wendy
How do the Spanish pronounce the letter X I see Elche spelt as Elx do they say it the same? and how would you pronounce Xixona and Mutxatel, two towns in Valencia?
TIA

Wendy
By Wendy
Sopocka wrote:Equis for the letter itself

When used within a word... Mutxamel or Elx its more like 'ch'
Thanks, I knew it was Equis but wasnt sure about the rest
By beastess
But those particular names are Valencian so the same rules do not necessarily apply to Castellano words. I have heard different pronunciations there - seems to vary according to region. Have heard it similar to English x or to s. And a Mexican x is more of an h.
By Sopocka
Pronunciation in Spain does vary from region to region, in many cases from town to town.

I suppose the trick is to listen to the locals and adjust as you see fit.

One word that continually gives me an't missus grief..croissants

I'll be damned if it's not differently pronounced in every caf in the land. Blank stares when we say croisan, croisannés, croisant until the penny drops...I reckon they do it on purpose :D for cripessake it's only one syllable different...I'm standing in a caf what else would I be asking for?

On the other hand cerveza is always understood :D
By rspltd
The blank stares you get when you ask for croissants could be because they can't pronounce the French word correctly (croissants are called after their shape which is like a cross). The correct pronounciation is cwussonts but there again most people think the name of the coffee is a lartay???
By Info
Wendy, Xixona or Jijona is pronounced Kay-hoo-na same as Spanish Qué-hoo-na or Ché-hoo-na
and

Mutxatel -Moo-tcha-tel

that's according to me

Bee
By Montesinos
As has been explained earlier, the pronounciation of the letter "X" varies from region to region.

In Galicia, Cataluña, Balearics and Valencia the equis is pronounced as a "sssh", so Jose becomes Xose (ssshose). In Galician the letter J does not exist and an X is always used in its place.

Not an expert on Valenciano but presume its the same here.
By Menina
johnf55 wrote:Elx would be "Elks"

But how they say the "X" depends on the word...
... and the language....
By suziq
Info wrote:Wendy, Xixona or Jijona is pronounced Kay-hoo-na same as Spanish Qué-hoo-na or Ché-hoo-na
and

Mutxatel -Moo-tcha-tel

that's according to me

Bee
Actually it's Moo-tcha-mel :wink: Xixona / Jijona tends to be heard as hi-hou-na.
Aint Valenciano great :P

Suzi
By Culebronchris
I smoke cigars called Dux. I usually try by asking for Doooks but the tobacconists (after screwing up their eyes and pulling their nose towards the forehead or maybe heading for the Ducados) say "ah?, Dooos" So the next time I say Dooos and the shopkeeper goes goes through the same quizzical look routine before saying "ah?, Dooks."

The X in Pedro Ximenez isn't the same X as in nexo or voxpopuli. I think that X, like croisan and its variations or beicon, bacon etc., isn't really a matter of pronunciation - it's the old bath (North) and barth (South) or glass and glars difference amongst Brit speakers. It has more to do with context, rythm and tone than with pure pronunciation.
By bimsey
I was once taken ill in France and my hubby went into the nearest town and asked various people "doctor " doctor but blank stares then he said "mon femme est malade" oh they said docteur ,for crying out loud :shock:
By Mike E
macanna wrote:
rspltd wrote:The blank stares you get when you ask for croissants could be because they can't pronounce the French word correctly (croissants are called after their shape which is like a cross). The correct pronounciation is cwussonts but there again most people think the name of the coffee is a lartay???
the word croissant is french for crescent, as in crescent moon, hence the shape!
In Spanish? Creciente

Perhaps we should ask for that to get a croissant :wink: :?
Happy Mobile

I have used it for years and just as I topped up w[…]

I am not too sure I used golden oil the first time[…]

Avalon Funeral Services

I've had to use Avalon twice recently (both parent[…]

MICROWAVES NOW SOLD. THANKS FOR YOU TIME BEDSIDE D[…]

Thank you Bee x

Yes Paul very strange times. The only thing is the[…]

Gas fire and 2 orange (Repsol) gas bottles for sal[…]

. I will return when the forum is under a more r[…]

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities