Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By reddragon
#725631
suricata - meerkat
migas - crumbs
buitre - vulture
pico - beak
cuervo - crow
By reddragon
#725933
cebada - barley
avena - oats
centeno - rye
mijo - millet
By mariac
#735329
reddragon wrote:el murcielago - the bat (stress on the e)
Hola Red good to see you on here again,
when I was learning Spanish we were told that Murcielago is the only Spanish word with all the vowels in it.
it is also the Valencian mascot??? and is on the football strip.
It love murcielargos I am an old one myself :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
By GAL
#736982
Nothing new there tis the same in most languages Don Juan being as tis Latin.
By reddragon
#752717
ampolla - blister (med)
charco - puddle
colmena - beehive
el iman - magnet
By Mike E
#752737
herramientas - (hand) tools

llave inglesa - adjustable wrench
llave allen - allen key
destornillador plano = flat bladed screwdriver
destornillidor estrella - star bladed screwdriver (Phillips)
destornillidor - precision (watchmaker) screw driver
cinta métrica - tape rule
cúter - cutter
martillo - hammer
alicates universales - flat nose pliers
alicates punta fina - (long) pointed nose pliers
tenazes - pincers
nivel torpedo - spirit level
By reddragon
#759286
el serrin - sawdust
cubierta - deck (ship)
baraja - deck (of cards)
el as - ace (cards)
el ace - ace (tennis)
treboles - clubs (cards)
picas/espadas - spades (cards): think one of these is used more in South America
el comodin - joker (cards)
la jota - jack (cards)
venda - bandage
tirita - plaster (med)
gasa - dressing (med)
By Ruth
#765425
Mike E wrote:herramientas - (hand) tools

llave inglesa - adjustable wrench
llave allen - allen key
destornillador plano = flat bladed screwdriver
destornillidor estrella - star bladed screwdriver (Phillips)
destornillidor - precision (watchmaker) screw driver
cinta métrica - tape rule
cúter - cutter
martillo - hammer
alicates universales - flat nose pliers
alicates punta fina - (long) pointed nose pliers
tenazes - pincers
nivel torpedo - spirit level
Thanks Mike, a very handy list for my husband, a retired joiner !
By Mike E
#765448
Ruth - they continue to be advertised for a subsidised 'sale' in the INFORMACIÓN local Spanish newspaper - with pictures too!
By Mike E
#765486
jaime_teacher wrote:All right. That's a "nivel", just that. "Torpedo" must be a specific brand
None of the other tools pictured have 'branded' names - they all appear to be generic
By Ruth
#765501
Mike E wrote:Ruth - they continue to be advertised for a subsidised 'sale' in the INFORMACIÓN local Spanish newspaper - with pictures too!

Thanks for the info Mike - pity we are in the Uk for the moment and not sure when we are back.
By Mike E
#765531
Mike E wrote:
jaime_teacher wrote:All right. That's a "nivel", just that. "Torpedo" must be a specific brand
None of the other tools pictured have 'branded' names - they all appear to be generic
j_t - could it be the shape of the spirit level? The one depicted has flat surfaces top-n-bottom and curvi-linear sides. Torpedo shape (loosely!)
By Mike E
#772781
sunset girl wrote:I found out today that vapor is steam,humo is smoke and vaho is mist.
Not sure if that helps anyone,but it is vocabulary I suppose.
It was because I was trying to explain to a Spanish colleague that it was misty on the way to work this morning.
We worked through steam and smoke before we got to mist. :roll:
fog = niebla
By wesdunn
#773598
Saltamontes - Grasshopper
Grillo - Cricket

There was a few i have never seen before so thanks for posting them!

regards

Wes
DKV private healthcare

Does anyone use this company for private healthcar[…]

Estate Agents

Thanks Fred that is a very helpful link. It all go[…]

The Patron Festival or Fiesta Patronales Torreviej[…]

Great new s

Torrevieja.co.uk

Would you consider someone hosting it for you Gary[…]

Quizes

Hi we're looking to meet 2 or 3 people who want to[…]

No I haven't seen that place before so I will take[…]

Happy Mobile

Did you mean Happy Movil or Happy Mobil I is owne[…]

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities