Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Available For Sponsorship.
This section is for those that are learning the Spanish language.

Moderator: Moderator

By suziq
OK, is this just taking the p. Or does it really mean More or Less, mas o menos ?

Suzi
By suziq
Thanks, I never heard it before, I was on a Spanish forum & I thought they might be having a laugh.
At my expense. :lol:

Suzi
By Menina
Yes, just as you guessed, but this is the way those three words are pronounced in some regions, it is not correct to use it in written Spanish, unless it is colloquial. In the southern area of Spain it is quite common to omit pronouncing the last consonant in words, which takes the form of an aspired "h" instead. Without using phonetics, it should sound like "mahohmenoh".
By Mike E
Heard regularly here in Los M

In fact when quoting 'mas o menos' often 'corrected' with a 'ma o meno' when the dropping of 's' from words is common

Caught me out with 'domilonce' too some months ago!!
By Lollipop
The use of this sort of language is very common in the village where I live, especially among the old men in the local bar who try to make drunken small talk when you go in and all you can do is smile politely and agree!
By Mike E
Lollipop wrote:The use of this sort of language is very common in the village where I live, especially among the old men in the local bar who try to make drunken small talk when you go in and all you can do is smile politely and agree!
Take your time - smile - and ask them politely - what they mean! Works here in Los M and you will be thought better off for it
By Lollipop
Believe me I live in a tiny village full of farmers with no teeth so I'm probably better off not knowing!! I usually speak a lot more Spanish here during the fiestas when the younger villagers are out and about and everyone has had a few drinks so they are feeling a lot more sociable. I am sure the old men are lovely but don't think I would have a lot in common with them!!
Estate Agents

That is not true you need to see a legal profes[…]

DKV private healthcare

Does anyone use this company for private healthcar[…]

The Patron Festival or Fiesta Patronales Torreviej[…]

Great new s

Torrevieja.co.uk

Would you consider someone hosting it for you Gary[…]

Quizes

Hi we're looking to meet 2 or 3 people who want to[…]

No I haven't seen that place before so I will take[…]

Happy Mobile