Torrevieja Forum

This Section Is Sponsored By WWW.COSTABLANCABIKEHIRE.COM
Here you can ask questions about anything that relates to Torrevieja.
Anything not related to Torrevieja can be posted in General Chat.

Moderator: Moderator

By SteveD
#1118442
Jimbo1916 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:09 pm
Buy a Spanish car and be done with it. ... Why anyone would want to drive a RHD car here is beyond me. !!

Too frightend to change probably .

As I said in my last post, this is a couple coming over and want to see if they settle.
By Info
#1118446
Yes a sensible thing to do. They can drive around and see what areas they might like if they did decide to move to Spain.

Bee
By Jimbo1916
#1118454
SteveD wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 10:18 pm
Jimbo1916 wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 3:09 pm
Buy a Spanish car and be done with it. ... Why anyone would want to drive a RHD car here is beyond me. !!

Too frightend to change probably .

As I said in my last post, this is a couple coming over and want to see if they settle.
Yes of course, that`s different ... I myself drove down twenty years ago to live, but at the earliest opportunity I bought a Spanish car and it made life .. and driving, so much easier. :wink:
By bktayken
#1118459
freddo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm
The car can stay in Spain as long as it is road legal in its country of origin That's what the law says
That a bit of a RED HERRING the car must be owned by some body and that person ..resident or not can only use it for 183 day (30 days for resident )before it needs returning to country of origin or re registering
Your saying it can stay here indefinetly without out any action :shock: :shock: :shock:
By freddo
#1118460
If it is a UK car it can stay up to the date it ceases to be road legal in its own registration country if under 3 years no MOT needed so as long as it is insured it will be legal if over 3 years old then it will have to go back to the UK for yearly MOT
The UK DVLA will declare it permanently exported if they know it is out of UK for more than 12 months
By Info
#1118462
bktayken wrote:
freddo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm
The car can stay in Spain as long as it is road legal in its country of origin That's what the law says
That a bit of a RED HERRING the car must be owned by some body and that person ..resident or not can only use it for 183 day (30 days for resident )before it needs returning to country of origin or re registering
Your saying it can stay here indefinetly without out any action :shock: :shock: :shock:
The person may not stay unless they take out residencia but the car can stay as long as it is road legal in whatever EC country it comes from. It can be driven by anyone non-resident be it the owner or whoever the owner gives permission to drive it as long as they are insured to drive it in Spain and they abide by the 6 month or 183 day rule.

Bee
By bktayken
#1118466
Info wrote:
bktayken wrote:
freddo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm
The car can stay in Spain as long as it is road legal in its country of origin That's what the law says
That a bit of a RED HERRING the car must be owned by some body and that person ..resident or not can only use it for 183 day (30 days for resident )before it needs returning to country of origin or re registering
Your saying it can stay here indefinetly without out any action :shock: :shock: :shock:
The person may not stay unless they take out residencia but the car can stay as long as it is road legal in whatever EC country it comes from. It can be driven by anyone non-resident be it the owner or whoever the owner gives permission to drive it as long as they are insured to drive it in Spain and they abide by the 6 month or 183 day rule.

Bee
The car cannot stay as LONG AS its Road Legal..max it can stay is 12 Mths ..because after that is is deemed exported by the DVLA wether they know or not ..but it must have been clocked out of the UK on a date so they know ..
By Info
#1118469
It's not correct . You are deliberately not reading or not understanding what people are saying. A UK car has to return once a year after it is 3yrs old for an MOT. On the other hand a car with an Irish registration gets its first MOT after 4yrs and it lasts for 2yrs before it has to return to its own country for its next NCT. Why would the DVLA consider your car exported if the car is road legal in its own country with an up-to-date MOT, an up-to-date tax cert and an up-to-date Insurance cert. All the posts on this subject are very clear the car can stay once it has its up-to-date documentation. There is no law to stop you taking the car back to the UK the day before its MOT ran out have your MOT done and drive it back to Spain the next day unless there is some unique law in the UK which says cars can only leave the country once in their lifetime for 12 months. We certainly don't have anything like that in Ireland.
Bee
By bolton wanderer
#1118485
Info wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:30 pm
bktayken wrote:
freddo wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:02 pm
The car can stay in Spain as long as it is road legal in its country of origin That's what the law says
That a bit of a RED HERRING the car must be owned by some body and that person ..resident or not can only use it for 183 day (30 days for resident )before it needs returning to country of origin or re registering
Your saying it can stay here indefinetly without out any action :shock: :shock: :shock:
The person may not stay unless they take out residencia but the car can stay as long as it is road legal in whatever EC country it comes from. It can be driven by anyone non-resident be it the owner or whoever the owner gives permission to drive it as long as they are insured to drive it in Spain and they abide by the 6 month or 183 day rule.

Bee
Also, I don't think that there's anything currently preventing you from sharing your, fully street legal, UK registered car with other non residents. You could each fly to Spain and pickup the car from the airport and stay for up to 89 days at different periods. You would need to be insured (Spanish insurance covers anyone over 25 with owners permission). You would also need forms left in the car for each driver giving permission in Spanish. One of you would still have to return the vehicle to the UK every 12 months for the MOT. 8)

The current MOT or UK parking tickets may provide proof that the car has not been permanently exported.
By Lincoln45
#1118487
You folks appear to be driving around in circles over this.

Its fairly simple if you read whats in the link that has been posted in this thread a few times.

As Freddo said, you can leave the car in Spain for as long as you like, as long as its legal in the UK. A simple statement but correct, which will be 12 months less the time it takes for a round trip to the UK. After 12 months the vehicle won't be legal in any country, unless you return to the UK or get it registered (in this case) in Spain. Nothing to stop you leaving the car in Spain and flying backwards and forwards to the UK during that period to get around the Residencia and 183 day tax rule.

As for the 12 month rule I suspect that this a EU law and not something cooked up by the DVLA

I don't know if the vehicles get clocked going in and out of the UK. What I do know is that a passenger list is sent to Newcastle for the benefit of the DWP

I await the flak
By Jimbo1916
#1118489
It`s still rather confusing and not really straightforward because there are too many variables.
That`s why I sold my UK registered car ASAP and bought a Spanish one.
At least you know that you are 100 % legal plus it made sense to change to a LHD car.
When in Rome and all that .. and why bother with all aforementioned hassle...just buy a Spanish car and be done with it for goodness sake. :roll:
By wingman
#1118516
You have 30 days to import and re-plate any non Spanish registered vehicle once you become habitually resident. That date is from first use in Spain...called the "dato de circulation". The authorities assume you are using said vehicle from the moment you arrive...even if you get a Certificate of EU Registration (residente temporal) downstream. That is the law.
It is incorrect and misleading to suggest that the vehicle somehow becomes a separate legal entity and it can stay forever providing it is fully legal in the country of registration. It must by law (national and EU) be registered to someone or an entity - company.
This is about import and tax laws...not traffic regulations.
My German ex partner was done by GC Traffico ( report then denounced to the AEAT) for owning (because name was on the Permisso de Circulation, Fecha Technica and IVTM receipt) a Spanish reg car...without proof of residency status.
For the sceptics and unsures ...the best solution can be obtained from your very helpful Jeffe Official Destacamento de Traffico GC in Acequion or next time you see a GC Atestado y Informas van on the side of the road, just walk over with all your "legal" UK documents, Spanish residencia and they will give you an answer... :wink:
freddo are you ok?

Have to Agree Fred helps out a lot of people here,[…]

There is one outside the Correos at the roundabout[…]

Toll roads

AP7/A7 just under €6 AP7/A31 just under &eu[…]

Pensionista holidays

Thank you, still worth it, I like to go because I[…]

UBER Taxi Servicce

That accounts for the vans I saw with the blue num[…]

No problem H I have only worn mine twice , just on[…]

Furniture suite Clean

Proclean in spain are very good

Cognitive Behavioural Therapy ?

I have only just read your reply and I am extremel[…]

New Advertising Slots and Possibilities